Quick Look to Rhinoplasty
Rhinoplasty is a complex surgical procedure with a surprisingly recovery period required before returning to your regular routine. Most patients, whose surgery is performed by an experienced plastic surgeon, are surprised at how short the first recovery period after the operation is. Patients usually feel a minor pain and soreness after rhinoplasty. Some patients only complain of nasal congestion caused by swollen face and nasal tissues, while others complain of swelling and bruising on the face. Rhinoplasty is a safe and extremely popular surgery that can transform your facial aesthetics and eliminate your breathing problems.
Healing time after any surgery, rhinoplasty included, can vary from one patient to another. In addition, it depends on several factors, including the surgical techniques used and the amount of reconstruction done. Downtime from a rhinoplasty can be varies, but your facial plastic surgeon will likely recommend that you take a week or two off from work to get through the initial healing period. After the first couple of weeks, you can feel better.
What Should Expect: Rhinoplasty surgery recovery timeline
The healing process begins when you are taken to the recovery room after surgery. You may not remember this process immediately after the operation. There will be a splint on your nose. And also, there may be a tampon in your nose.
If tampons are not needed, a special pad is placed under your nostrils to collect the small amount of bleeding that may occur on the your first night post-rhinoplasty. You will feel a sinus congestion and a slight pressure around your nose. Later, when the pain medications given for the operation wear off, you will use pain medications at home if you need them. You can use a pack of frozen peas to reduce swelling and relieve pressure.
Once the dripping has stopped, you will begin to clean the small incision in your nose regularly with oxygenated water. You will use ointment to prevent crusting under your nostrils.
You can eat something if you want. In that case keeping hydrated is crucial for health and well-being. In fact, you need to drink adequate amounts of water.
Some grogginess from surgery may persist.You should avoid to fall, or bang your newly completed nose on anything. Due to, after surgery, your friend or loved one may help you first days of surgery.
- These two days can be a little difficult, but they are generally not painful (pain level is defined by most patients as 3-4 out of 10. Make sure to use medications to relieve pain). You may feel nauseous. Breathing through your mouth can make it difficult to sleep. Nasal washing with salt water can make you feel better.
- To minimize swelling, sleep with 2 large pillows. This also helps reduce bruising and limits bleeding.
- You can return to light activities after the first day. Do not bend over, and try not to lift anything over 2 kilograms. Do not use aspirin and ibuprofen.
- If you have a tampon in your nose, you should visit your surgeon to have the tampon removed on the 2nd day.
- Don’t be afraid, things will only get better from now on!
Week 1 (Days 4-7)
- During these times, you will feel your splint loosening. Your surgeon will remove your at the end of the first week, along with your stitches.
- At this stage, you can see the basic shape of your new nose. You will have a lot of swelling. However, swelling is generally symmetrical. For this reason, you can visualize the final shape your nose will take even at this early stage.
- You can return to work (or school). However, you should not lift heavy and avoid strenuous activities. On the other hand, some patients may be asked to take 2 weeks off for recovery.
- To prevent sunburn, you should avoid the sun for at least 2 months or wear a hat.
Week 2 (Days 8-14)
Milestone: Return to Work
- Around the middle of the second week, 10 days after rhinoplasty, the bruises usually become significantly faint.
- Generally, after 1 week or less, swelling and bruises become almost unnoticeable. You can return to work or school around the 8th day.
- However, some patients are required to be off for 2 weeks after rhinoplasty. If this happens, you can return to work or school on day 14.
Weeks 3 and 4 (Days 15 – 30)
- Surgeons generally allow patients to return to their normal exercise and activity level at the end of the 3rd week.
- You should wait at least 1 more month for contact sports or very heavy exercises. If you wear a protective mask, you can return to exercise sooner. Always follow your surgeon’s recommendations.
- Most of your swelling will already be gone. It takes the longest time for the swelling at the tip of the nose to pass. You will notice that your nose becomes more elegant as the days pass.
Month 2-3 – Rhinoplasty Recovery Nearly Complete!
You will start to look better every day. The swelling in the nasal bridge usually disappears completely at this time. The tip of your new nose may still be a little numb. But the feeling at the tip of the nose will return to normal more and more every day. If you get an open rhinoplasty, your surgery scar will continue to fade.
1 year post-procedure
- 12 months after your rhinoplasty operation, all (or almost all) of the swelling in your nose will be gone. Your surgery scar (if any) will be almost completely faded.
- At this stage, see your surgeon for evaluation of your surgical outcome and scar tissue control.
Tips to shorten rhinoplasty procedure recovery time
- Ask questions: If anything worries you or you have questions about nasal care between your follow-up visits, call your surgeon. If you hit your nose, have a new bleeding, or notice excessive swelling after the 3rd day, contact your surgeon. Being in contact with your surgeon also allows you to be more comfortable during the healing process.
- Avoid overdo activity: If you do not follow post-operative instructions, such as not bending over, not lifting anything heavy, and not exercising to increase your blood pressure, you are at higher risk of experiencing complications. If you do not follow post-operative instructions, such as not bending over, not lifting anything heavy, and not exercising to increase your blood pressure, you are at higher risk of experiencing complications. All of this can cause bleeding. Walking at home is not a problem, it is even recommended to keep circulation normal. But you shouldn’t do even moderate exercise until your surgeon allows it. You will likely need to avoid strenuous exercise for 6 weeks or more. If you forget to sleep propped up, the swelling may increase. Your surgeon may recommend that you avoid salty foods so that the swelling dissipates as quickly as possible.
- Get help from your friends: A friend or family member should drive you home after the surgery. He/she should also stay with you for 24-48 hours after the operation. You must not lift anything or anyone. For this reason, you may want to arrange a sitter for your child for 1-2 weeks.
- Watch out for the infection: If you run a fever, become nauseous, notice excessive skin redness or a runny nose, contact your surgeon immediately. These may be signs of infection. Your surgeon has ways to deal with such complications. However, you should inform your surgeon immediately. No matter how qualified your surgeon is, it is your responsibility to keep the area clean to prevent postoperative infection.
- Avoid bumping your nose: Babies, children or pets can hit your healing nose. So be very careful when holding them or when they are in your lap. Because of such a thing, you don’t want your surgery results to distrup or your healing process to prolong. If you are wearing prescription glasses or sunglasses, your glasses should not rest on your nose belt until your surgeon permits. You can tape your glasses to your forehead.
- Arnica and Bromelain: These supplements can help against swelling and bruising. Ask your surgeon for their opinion on these supplements and when to use them before / after the operation.
Someone who does not know that you have had a rhinoplasty may notice a change in you, but may not understand exactly what the change is. After the operation performed by a qualified and experienced plastic surgeon, your nose looks natural. Rhinoplasty surgeries performed by a qualified and experienced plastic surgeon usually increase your self-confidence and make you a more social person. Now you may accept compliments and enjoy your new look.
Rhinoplasty in Turkey
Vanity Cosmetic Surgery Hospital has been performing various types of plastic surgeries such as nose job in Turkey. If you’re considering undergoing a nose job in Turkey and curious about rhinoplasty cost please contact us to book a consultation!